User mode debug on target machine using dynamic linking.
usfinecats
2007-04-30 00:48:00 UTC
I've just built a "hello world" app in DEBUG MODE that runs fine on my
development computer.
On my test computer, I have a problem.

I've looked at the dependencies with Depend.exe and found that I was missing
msvcr80d.dll so I found a copy of it in .....\WinSxS\.... the appropriate
dir that had both the dll and the manifest and copied them along with the
exe to my target machine. I placed all these guys in the same directory and
I've even put a copy of MSVCRT.dll in there too.

In fact I tried just about every version of msvcr80d.dll and msvcrt.dll in
my development computer

I keep getting a error telling me that the configuration is wrong and I
should reinstall the app.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ? I don't want to build this as a static exe since
the real point of this exercise is to get a debuggable user mode app and a
debuggable kernel mode app talking to each other I need debug versions of
both so I can use windbg to debug the system.

GAK
--
Gak -
Finecats
Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]
2007-04-30 06:20:26 UTC
Hi Gak,

Yes, msvcr80d.dll is the VC++ mltithreaded, dynamic link runtime debug
version. VC2005 will create binaries with a dependency on msvcr80.dll or
msvcr80d.dll for debug version. Msvcrt.dll is an OS binary, which is only
linked by Windows system binaries. Application binaries will not link with
Msvcrt.dll. So there is no need for you to copy Msvcrt.dll to test machine.

Since you have copied the msvcr80.dll with manifest to the test machine
WinSxS directory, however, it still does not work. I suspect that your Exe
may be missing manifest file for the side by side feature. You may try to
set 'Project Properties->Configuration Properties->Mainfest Tool->Input and
Output->Embed Manifest' to 'NO' to see if it resolves your problem. Please
refer to the article below for more details:
"MSVCR80D.dll not found"
http://blogs.msdn.com/seshadripv/archive/2005/10/30/486985.aspx

Finally, I want to tell you that MSVCR80D.dll is not a redistributed dll,
so you can not include it in your setup project for deploying to the end
user machine. All the redistributed dlls list is documented in the
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\redist.txt(change the path to
your VS2005 install path) file.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan