Msinfo32 problem on Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Frank S
2008-08-30 21:23:17 UTC
I can't get msinfo32 to write an output file. It works interactively. Here is my command:

msinfo32 /nfo C:\TEMP\SYSSUM.NFO /categories +systemsummary

Any ideas on why this gives no error, but does not create the output file?
Frank
Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2008-09-01 08:09:45 UTC
Good afternoon, Frank

Based on my research, the version of msinfo32 is likely to be the reason
for the symptom that msinfo32 /nfo C:\TEMP\SYSSUM.NFO /categories
+systemsummary works interactively without the output file in windows xp
x64. Frank, would you please provide me with the following information that
can help me to further investigate the issue?

***** INFORMATION COLLECTION *****
1, Version of the msinfo32.exe file (x86 or x64? Version number?)
To identify x86/x64: if the path of the file is C:\Program Files\..., it's
x64 version of the file; if the path is C:\Program Files (x86)\..., it's
x86.
To identify the version number of the file, please right click on the file
in Windows Explorer, and find the version number in "Version" tab.

2, Do you have the latest service packs in your x64 Windows XP system?
What's the current SP version?

3, How do you launch the msinfo32 command? From cmd.exe or an app?

==================================
Below are my current assumptions of the cause and the solutions according
to the given information. Frank, you may want to try them in your machine
and let me know the result.

***** POSSIBLE CAUSE *****

As far as I know, before SP1 of the OS, the 32-bit version of MSINFO32.exe
doesn't process the /report and /nfo command-line args. This is due to the
inability of 32-bit exe to load the 64-bit msinfo.dll. Because the switch
/nfo is ignored, you see msinfo32 work interactively and no report is
generated in the target folder.

***** POSSIBLE SOLUTION *****

POSSIBLE SOLUTION 1.

Make sure to use the 64bit version of msinfo32.exe in the 64bit system.
%root%\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\MSINFO32.EXE

(The 32bit version of msinfo32.exe is at %root%\Program Files\Common Files
(x86)\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\MSINFO32.EXE)

POSSIBLE SOLUTION 2.

Install the all the latest service packs and patches of the operating
system.

==================================
Below are my tests in lab for the issue:

1. I built up a Windows XP x64 Professional PC with SP1. I ran the command
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32 /nfo
C:\TEMP\SYSSUM.NFO /categories +systemsummary
And
C:\Program File\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32 /nfo
C:\TEMP\SYSSUM.NFO /categories +systemsummary

from c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.
both outputs the result to c:\temp\syssum.nfo as expected.

The above test also succeeds in Windows XP x64 with SP2.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge (***@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

***@microsoft.com.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.
Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2008-09-03 09:16:23 UTC
Hello Frank,

I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you mind
letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further
assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of
assistance.

Have a great day!

Frank S
2008-09-09 20:02:16 UTC
Here are some answers to your questions:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 44B8-84EE

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo

12/18/2007 12:43 PM <DIR> .
12/18/2007 12:43 PM <DIR> ..
03/29/2006 07:00 AM 617 IEFILES5.INF
02/18/2007 12:05 PM 103,424 ieinfo5.ocx
03/29/2006 07:00 AM 43,008 msinfo32.exe
10/26/2006 09:13 PM 553,304 OINFO12.OCX
10/26/2006 09:12 PM 87,352 OINFOP12.EXE
10/26/2006 08:49 PM 74,632 OINFOP12.MOF
10/26/2006 09:12 PM 18,744 OINFOS12.DLL
7 File(s) 881,081 bytes
2 Dir(s) 56,445,317,120 bytes free

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo>start /wait msinfo32 /nfo
C:\TEMP\SYSSUM.NFO /categories systemsummary

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo>THIS FAILED TO CREATE THE FILE

The version of msinfo.exe is 5.2.3790.1830.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo>start /wait msinfo32 /report
C:\TEMP\SYSSUM64.txt /categories systemsummary

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo>THIS VERSION CREATES THE FILE

The version of msinfo.exe is 5.2.3790.1830 (same as before)

My system information:

System Information report written at: 09/09/08 14:54:02
System Name: FRANK-AMD
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional x64 Edition
Version 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2 Build 3790
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FRANK-AMD
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model M61P-S3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3215 Mhz
Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3215 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5, 6/21/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)"
User Name chapurahq\frank
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 4,095.26 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.44 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.66 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.39 GB
Page File Space 3.91 GB
Page File D:\pagefile.sys

I have also found a huge difference between using "systemsummary" versus "+systemsummary". Using
"+systemsummary" results with output for all categories, not just the system summary.

Thanks,

Frank
Frank
Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2008-09-11 06:38:49 UTC
Thank you very much, Frank.

According to your test, the problems happens when we use the 32bit version
of msinfo32. You OS, SP and msinfo32 versions are the same as mine:

1. 32bit version of msinfo32:

start /wait msinfo32 /nfo C:\TEMP\SYSSUM.NFO /categories +systemsummary

this command returns immediately. SYSSUM.NFO appears 0KB in the temp folder.
(on my side, I see msinfo32.exe is still running in task manager. After a
few seconds, msinfo32 quits and flushes the system info to SYSSUM.NFO)

2. 64bit version of msinfo32:

start /wait msinfo32 /nfo C:\TEMP\SYSSUM.NFO /categories +systemsummary

this command does not return until the system info is completely outputted
to SYSSUM.NFO.

I admit that this is a product issue of msinfo32. The workaround is to
always use the 64bit version of msinfo32 in x64 system. Could you let me
know whether this workaround fits your business? I have logged the issue in
our internal database for the product team's references. Please DON'T
hesitate to tell me if there are anything else I can do for you.

Have a nice day!

Post by Frank S
[...]
AuthenticAMD ~3215 Mhz Processor AMD64 Family 15 Model 67 Stepping 3
Post by Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
Hello Frank,
I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you
mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further
assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of
assistance. Have a great day!
Microsoft Online Community Support
suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
Please feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of
Frank
Frank S

Frank
Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2008-09-12 03:26:04 UTC
Hello Frank

The command option "/categories systemsummary" is not valid. The valid
options are

/category systemsummary
/categories +systemsummary

You can find more details of the command options that are supported in
Windows XP at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300887

<quote>
/category {categoryID}
Starts System Information with the specified category selected. Use
/showcategories to display a list of available category IDs.

/categories {+categoryID(+categoryID)|+all(-categoryID)}
Starts System Information with only the specified category or categories
displayed. It also limits the output to the selected category or categories.
Use /showcategories to display a list of available category IDs.
</quote>

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

P.S. I will not be available at the newsgroup next week because of a
training, but my backup engineers will continue helping you if you have any
follow-up questions.

Have a nice weekend!

Post by Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
Hello Frank,
I am writing to check the status of the issue on your side. Would you
mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further
assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be
of assistance. Have a great day!
Microsoft Online Community Support
Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments
and suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.