Application verifier symbols won't load and are not in MS symbol s
JuliaR
2007-11-16 20:30:00 UTC
Hello - We have some debugging environments here that *never* seem to be able
to resolve application verifier symbols. Much of our test setup is composed
of test machines in virtual machines connected w/ Kernel debugger to WinDbg
on the VM-Host.

We, of course, like to use application verifier because of it's superb
ability to ferret out potential problems. But in one particular case, I have
never been able to get the symbols on the debug host to match the vfbasics of
the debug target.

First question: Why aren't the application verifier symbols stored in the
MS symbol store?
Second question: Given that they're *not* in the symbol store, how do I get
these to match?

The VM Host (and Debug Host) is a 64bit Windows 2003 box. The VM machine is
a 32bit version.

We installed Application Verifier on the debug host (64 bit version). That
didn't work.
We tried copying the symbol file from the 32bit VM machine and pointing at
that. That didn't seem to work. I checked the !lmi information on
vfbasics.dll and it appears to be right but we can't get it to work. It
keeps coming back with that message saying it can't load the VF symbols. I'm
assuming this is a discrepancy between the 32bit and 64 bit versions.

Any advice or ideas would be welcome.
Prasad Kakulamarri [MSFT]
2007-11-16 21:44:01 UTC
AppVerifier symbols are shipped with the package and installed to
%windir%\system32 (%windir%\syswow64 for 32 bit AppVerifier on a 64 bit
machine). Since theya re shipped with the package, we thought it was not
necessary to index the symbols on the Microsoft public symbol server. We will
look into indexing these symbols asap.

Please make sure that you are using a 32bit appverifier to enable settings
on a 32 bit app and 64bit appverifier for 64 bit apps.

The 32 bit vfbasics binary and symbol file should have the following date
and size:
04/30/2007 12:48 PM 216,880 vfbasics.dll
04/30/2007 12:48 PM 1,657,856 vfbasics.pdb

Please let us know if you have any further questions.
Thanks,
Prasad
JuliaR
2007-11-16 21:56:03 UTC
I'm assuming then that the debugging host needs to find and point to the
32bit app verifier symbols so they match. I'm going to double check the
debugging setup and confirm that's what we've done.

But yes, having the symbols available in the symbol store will help
tremendously for kernel debugging, remote debugging, and dump file analysis.
Minimally, it would reduce the number of hoops we have to jump through. :-)
Hi,