Add/Remove Programs
John
2009-01-06 20:17:01 UTC
Is there a utility out there that will produce a text list of the
applications that are displayed by the Add/Remove Programs dialog?

Failing that, does anyone know where (in the registry?) Windows keeps the
information?

The goal is to provide a tool to allow our support organization to easily
check for conflicting applications.

TIA

John
Nathan
2009-01-06 20:29:18 UTC
Post by John
Is there a utility out there that will produce a text list of the
applications that are displayed by the Add/Remove Programs dialog?
Failing that, does anyone know where (in the registry?) Windows keeps the
information?
The goal is to provide a tool to allow our support organization to easily
check for conflicting applications.
just use win32 api
see api ng news://comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
where it has already been explained (C/C++ code)
Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2009-01-07 08:02:27 UTC
Hello John. Nice to see you again.

The major source of the "Add/Remove Programs" list is the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

In order to list the application displayed by the 'Add/Remove Programs'
dialog, we can enumerate the entries with DisplayName and a VALID
UninstallString. The scripts of doing this can be found in the links below.

VBScript Tools by Bill James
http://billsway.com/vbspage/?r=my&r=Earthlink&r=VBScript&r=Page
(see the entry 'List Installed Programs')

Listing a Computer's Installed Applications
http://windowsitpro.com/windowsscripting/article/articleid/39314/rem-listing
-a-computers-installed-applications.html

A relevant KB article:

How to manually remove programs from the Add or Remove Programs tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

Please let me know whether or not this is what you are looking for.

Happy New Year!

Regards,
Jialiang Ge (***@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

***@microsoft.com.

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2009-01-07 09:09:36 UTC
Add a relavant article by Raymond Chen:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/07/09/178342.aspx

- Jialiang Ge
John

Eric
2009-01-07 18:06:28 UTC
Post by Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
In order to list the application displayed by the 'Add/Remove Programs'
dialog, we can enumerate the entries with DisplayName and a VALID
No.
You never must read registry.
As it has been said, use Win32 api and COM