Where can I find the CodeView specification
Aaron Gray
2010-01-30 18:55:08 UTC

For want of a better place to ask. I am after the CodeView data format
specifications 4 and/or 5. I am writing an object module generator and need
to generate CodeView debugging information.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Pavel A.
2010-01-30 20:26:55 UTC
Post by Aaron Gray
Hi,
For want of a better place to ask. I am after the CodeView data format
specifications 4 and/or 5. I am writing an object module generator and
need to generate CodeView debugging information.
Look on MSDN. They had documented quite a lot of formats and interfaces
recently.
Also, try microsoft.public.windbg

--pa
Aaron Gray
2010-01-30 20:45:47 UTC
Post by Pavel A.
Post by Aaron Gray
Hi,
For want of a better place to ask. I am after the CodeView data format
specifications 4 and/or 5. I am writing an object module generator and
need to generate CodeView debugging information.
Look on MSDN. They had documented quite a lot of formats and interfaces
recently.
Also, try microsoft.public.windbg
Hi Pavel,

I could not find anything on it on MSDN :(

Could you have a look for me as I never seem to have any luck finding
anything on MSDN, they just keep moving things around.

Many thanks,

Aaron
Pavel A.
2010-01-30 21:21:33 UTC
Yep. They move things around a lot.
I could not find CV debug info under published documents
( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd208104(PROT.10).aspx )

Maybe, you'd better use .NET IL for your code generation, rather than native
code.
Or generate C or asm code and then compile with supported MS compilers.

Good luck,
-pa
Post by Aaron Gray
Post by Pavel A.
Hi,
Aaron
Aaron Gray
2010-01-30 21:57:49 UTC
Post by Pavel A.
Yep. They move things around a lot.
I could not find CV debug info under published documents
( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd208104(PROT.10).aspx )
Maybe, you'd better use .NET IL for your code generation, rather than
native code.
Or generate C or asm code and then compile with supported MS compilers.
Good luck,
Thanks for looking. No I have a X86 COFF backend already and need debugging
information in order to debug it. If I cannot get hold of the spec I will
have to reverse engineer it :(

Aaron
Post by Pavel A.
Post by Aaron Gray
Post by Pavel A.
Hi,
Aaron
Corinna Vinschen
2010-01-31 13:17:20 UTC
Post by Aaron Gray
Thanks for looking. No I have a X86 COFF backend already and need debugging
information in order to debug it. If I cannot get hold of the spec I will
have to reverse engineer it :(
If I understand you correctly, you're just implementing the tool which
produces the debug output. So, what speaks against emitting an open,
well-documented format like stabs or dwarf2?

Corinna
--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Project Co-Leader
Red Hat
Aaron Gray
2010-02-07 00:32:16 UTC
Post by Corinna Vinschen
Post by Aaron Gray
Thanks for looking. No I have a X86 COFF backend already and need debugging
information in order to debug it. If I cannot get hold of the spec I will
have to reverse engineer it :(
If I understand you correctly, you're just implementing the tool which
produces the debug output. So, what speaks against emitting an open,
well-documented format like stabs or dwarf2?
Hi Corinna,

Yes I have been thinking about doing several formats rather than just one,
but most Windeows debuggers work with CV so would like to get that working
first.

Aaron
Pavel A.

Aaron
Aaron Gray
2010-02-07 00:38:01 UTC
Post by Aaron Gray
For want of a better place to ask. I am after the CodeView data format
specifications 4 and/or 5. I am writing an object module generator and
need to generate CodeView debugging information.
I am trying to get a copy of "Visual C++ 5.0 Symbolic Debug Information
Specification" from 2001 MSDN days.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Pavel A.
2010-02-07 02:48:01 UTC
Post by Aaron Gray
Post by Aaron Gray
For want of a better place to ask. I am after the CodeView data format
specifications 4 and/or 5. I am writing an object module generator and
need to generate CodeView debugging information.
I am trying to get a copy of "Visual C++ 5.0 Symbolic Debug Information
Specification" from 2001 MSDN days.
If you wish to be compatible with _current_ MS toolchains,
perhaps documentation from VC++ 5.0 days is way too old. Even VC++ 6.0 is
too old.
Have you looked in the Phoenix & MS Research resources?

--pa