64-bit debugging risks
Pete Gontier
2008-01-11 23:13:45 UTC
I just took an existing 32-bit project and rebuilt it as 64-bit. After I
fixed a very few warnings, everything linked and ran flawlessly the first
time. It's scary how easy it was.

There's still some risk, though. If there turn out to be subtle problems I
can't see right now with what little testing I have done so far, I'm going
to need the debugger to work.

I'm using VS2005 and I can't upgrade to VS2008 right now. Am I safe?

Pete Gontier
http://www.m-audio.com/
pete (at) m-audio (dot) com
Pete Gontier

pete (at) m-audio (dot) com
Ivan Brugiolo [MSFT]
2008-01-21 16:18:14 UTC
You could try to set the process to allocate memory top-down, so that
most of the addresses returned by Virtual-Alloc would have the high-bits
set.
It's amazing how popular user-mode WDDM drivers from prominent
hardware manifacturer fails this basic test in 64-bit environments
Use of any included script samples are subject to the terms specified at