Windows SDK installation results
Heck
2009-06-11 15:42:24 UTC

Installation of the latest 32 bit Windows SDK, in which I instructed
it to install the VC++ 9.0 compiler and associated tools, created a
directory "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0", with, it
seems to me, a lot of duplication of the contents of the Microsoft
Visual Studio 8 directory. In particular, it produced a VS IDE with a
C++ compiler apparently identical to the VS 2008's.

I haven't done a detailed file comparison of the hundreds of MB of the
two directories, but, instead, I'm asking you: Can anyone identify
what parts of the SDK are not redundant?

Thanks.
Heck
2009-06-11 16:02:26 UTC
Apparently identical, to me not looking too carefully. In fact, the
SDK's IDE is 9.0.30729.1, whereas the VS 2008 SP1 IDE is
8.0.50727.762.

Perhaps I should just overwrite the VS 2008 directory with the SDK's
Visual Studio 9.0 directory. Would that combine the two directories
without breaking VS and the VC compiler?

Thanks