Problems after running application verifier - how to reset?
playingWithFire
2008-08-30 20:23:01 UTC
I have used Application Verifier against an app installer to fake an XP SP2
environment on my Windows 2003 server. I created a new project against
setup.exe, compatibility/HighVersionLie and entered the settings for XP SP2.
Then I got an error message telling me I needed a debugger to do this.
Anyhow, went ahead and saved projet. Once done with my install, I opened
Application Verifier again and deleted the entry for setup.exe. I thought
this was the end of it.

But... now many other apps refuse to install saying that I don't even have
2003 and sp1! And indeed, when I open resysinfo.exe it now says XP SP2.

Is there anything to do, beyond deleting the application in Application
Verifier to reset the playing field?

Notes:
* I have checked the registry for HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version and things look correct there (2003 SP2).
* winver returns the proper information (2003 SP2).
* I have rebooted

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Prasad Kakulamarri [MSFT]
2008-09-23 15:40:09 UTC
My suspicion is that the settings for setup.exe were not deleted. When you
launch appverif.exe, do you see an entry for setup.exe? What are the registry
entries under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Image File
Execution Options\setup.exe?

Thanks,
Prasad