Install custom sound scheme for all users.
Scott
2009-04-06 21:46:02 UTC
This question maybe in the wrong place but...

I need to be able to install a custom sound scheme that will be available to
all users. Then modifiable by individual users for there own taste.

I have seen several articles suggesting very different ways to do this. I am
currently updating the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\.. This works on
XP but not so well on vista. It also doesn't propigate to other users, only
the one it was originally installed for.

I would like an article that shows the correct way to do this.
Scott Norberg
Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2009-04-07 07:29:21 UTC
Hello Scott

I'm not familiar with the deployment of Windows sound theme, but the
following points based on my understanding of registry hive and user
profile may be useful to you:

1. You may consider setting the sound registry for all logged-on users by
enumerating the HKEY_USERS registry key. It has registry hives of all
logged on users (not all users permitted on the system). In fact, HKCR and
HKCU are just the hard links to two of the registries under HKEY_USERS.

2. For newly created users on the machine, you may consider changing the
template user hive in order to apply the custom sound schemes automatically:
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2007/03/02/1786493.aspx
Sysprep has changed significantly for Windows Vista. See the "Sysprep"
section in the article:

3. You may also consider configure an auto-run app on the machine. The app
is responsible to write the registry keys of the sound scheme for the
current user when he/she logs on. Because the app just needs to write the
HKCU, it does not require to run as admin.

The above ideas are completely based on my understanding of registry hive
and user profile. I also suggest that you post the question to one of the
Windows forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvistaitpro
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxpitpro

The IT pros may know the standard way of deploying sound schemes.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge (***@online.microsoft.com, remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

***@microsoft.com.

Scott
2009-04-07 13:32:23 UTC
Thanks for the general information!

How do I get this posted so the "IT Pros" (who ever they are) will look at
this question?
--
Scott Norberg
Scott Norberg
Jialiang Ge [MSFT]
2009-04-08 09:49:01 UTC
Hello Scott

If you have a managed Technet account, you can post the question to this
newsgroup:

microsoft.public.windows.server.activedirectory

The technet support team will help you with the question.

The IT pro forums in my last reply is full of passionate and knowledgable
community members, MVPs, and PG members. They may share the suggestions if
they have some ideas.